The course takes participants through digital technologies and how to design and facilitate engaging and collaborative learning experiences in popular virtual classroom environments such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Set up and support the use of Zoom (or a comparable platform) as a virtual event platform together with a real-time digital collaboration tool for brainstorming in Zoom breakout rooms and plenary.
- Create effective whiteboard and chat activities that keeps participants engaged while enriching their learning experience
- Creatively use web browsing activities to engage participants interactively and collaboratively in the virtual classroom
- Contribute to the creation of facilitator’s guide/event session plan for engaging participants in a live virtual classroom training
The course is delivered entirely online.
The course will take five weeks with six webinar sessions: one webinar session on Fridays in weeks 1 - 4 and two webinar sessions in week 5. Each week, participants will go through a number of assigned reading materials, complete weekly assignments and exercises, and participate in discussion forums to share experiences, questions and comments, as well as receive feedback from instructors.
The webinar sessions will be conducted through Zoom web conferencing platform on the following dates:
- Week 1: Friday, 29 January 2021
- Week 2: Friday, 5 February 2021
- Week 3: Friday, 12 February 2021
- Week 4: Friday, 19 February 2021
- Week 5: Friday 26 February 2021
Course activities and the weekly discussion forum will be available on the UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
The online course will cover topics such as:
Week 1: Building Virtual Facilitation Skills and Preparing for Live Virtual Events
Tools and technologies that attendees need for active participation and engagement, Tips and techniques to keep participants engaged and active in a live virtual event.
This session discusses:
- Event types: meetings, presentations, webinars, and learning events.
- Three essential virtual facilitation skills
- Three-steps to virtual classroom design
- Differences between interaction and online collaboration.
- Importance of building interaction and collaboration into live synchronous learning and training events
- Two types of collaborations in a live online virtual training.
Week 2: Virtual platform (Zoom and Teams) and Real-time digital collaboration tools for creating engaging and participatory online events.
In a live face-to-face events, we engage participants with group exercises and discussions. Similar learning experience is achieved in a virtual face-to-face events with breakout rooms.
This session focuses on zoom and Team settings and features. Provides preparation steps and how to set up breakout room and support collaborative activities.
How to ensure participant knows how to use the technologies.
- Create real-time brainstorming activities in Mural or similar real-time digital collaborative web-based tools
- Create Zoom breakout rooms with Mural Canvas
- Maximize participants collaboration during breakout room exercises in the Zoom virtual platform
- Prepare instructions for participants to guide them through breakout and brainstorming activities.
- Conduct a virtual event and setting up a welcome screen for participants as they join the event.
- Manage interactive and collaborative activities in brainstorming and breakout room sessions
- Anticipate the issues participants may have during breakout and brainstorming session.
Week 3: Using Technologies to maximise active participation and engagement, whiteboards and Chat.
This session provide tips and techniques for innovative use of whiteboards and chats to create participant interaction and engagement. Breakout and voting
This session takes participants through tips and techniques :
- Adding icebreakers and brain teasers as whiteboard and chat exercises to maximize interaction and collaboration.
- Creating and using word search puzzles to review key terms
Week 4: Web Browsing,
Application Sharing, and Designing virtual classroom facilitator guide.
This session demonstrates how to create interaction and collaboration in a virtual classroom setting using synchronized web browsing:
- Use a facilitator guide template to design effective web browsing exercises that maximize interaction and collaboration.
- Develop instructions for participants to guide them through their activities.
- Anticipate issues and design solutions with participant management of activities.
- Review and use a facilitator’s guide and session plan template to design exercises that maximize interaction and collaboration.
Week 5: Practice facilitating an interactive and collaborative live session.
This session gives participants the opportunity to practice what they learned. Each participant will be given five minutes to practice facilitating an interactive and collaborative live session.
- Each participant will prepare a five-minutes live session on a topic of his or her choice. Two or more participants can combine their time allocation.
- During the practice session, participants will be required to employ an interaction and collaboration activity learned in this course or they can try new activities.
- Receive feedback.
There will be two webinar sessions in week five for practice activities
General Service programme support and administrative professionals.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The cost of participation is $1,000.