UN Emerging Leaders Experience redesigned in 2020 builds upon the signature elements of the previous face-to-face UN Emerging Leaders Experience and introduces new features to create a rich, lasting learning experience, that is:
- Driven by the leadership vision of the UN System Leadership Framework, which has been adopted by the Chief Executives Board (CEB) for all UN personnel regardless of their level, duties and location;
- Strongly anchored in a value-based leadership approach, and a leadership culture called by the UN System Leadership Framework, which is applicable across mandates and areas of operation in the UN;
- Reflective of the changes in the UN system, enabling and inspiring transformational and behavioural change through a rich immersive learning experience;
- Integrated with content on managerial competencies, fundamentals of people management and emotional intelligence;
- Accompanied by two individual coaching sessions to help translate the learning into improved performance and practical insights.
The programme will enable middle managers to tap into their leadership potential, and prepare them to approach transitions with courage, confidence and trust. By completing this programme, participants gain practical skills and benefit from a wider professional network to better lead and influence.
Upon successful completion of the programme participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a common reference to a value-based leadership approach and be able to deliver on the UN’s mandates;
- Explore personal leadership styles, recognizing strengths to build on and what challenges to overcome;
- Apply mindsets and transformational leadership behaviours using the UN System Leadership Framework;
- Take specific actions to develop and sustain an effective relationship with their supervisor that supports both of them working at their best;
- Enhance their communication skills to build and sustain lasting relationships with team members and stakeholders;
- Act with increased self-awareness and emotional intelligence;
- Identify effective techniques to articulate compelling messages and influence relevant stakeholders;
- Cultivate stronger connections by networking with UN colleagues working in various duty stations.
UNELE is an immersive blended leadership programme, which offers a learning journey of online and face-to-face formats and mixed methodologies as it combines a unique skill-based online modular programme; a face-to-face component; a 360-degree Assessment; and individual coaching.
The programme supports (1) knowledge acquisition, (2) knowledge application, and (3) personalization and knowledge transfer. UNEL-e seeks to promote and support the managerial and leadership culture transformation formalized in the UN System Leadership Framework, by strengthening participants’ capability to fulfil their roles as managers and leaders who can drive fast and efficient transformational change.
As part of the learning experience participants also gain exposure to leading professionals and subject-matter experts in the field of leadership, access to UN specific knowledge, documents and experience, state-of-the-art resources from top universities and consulting firms, and knowledge resources from UN staff members who are UNSSC leadership and management alumni.
Weeks 1- 4
The first 4 weeks online give participants the opportunity to experience learner-centered design and scenario-based learning through a self-paced learning path from selected management and leadership modules. These are complemented by webinars, which consist of a weekly average of five to six hours.
The final week of residential training on the UNSSC campus in Turin is designed to provide a deep dive experience through lectures by renowned experts and senior UN staff, interactive and participatory sessions and exercises, individual and group activities, as well as experience sharing.
You will be asked to complete a 360 assessment to share with your colleagues before arriving to the training.
The five-day training will require your full attention for at least 6.5 hours per day. In case of virtual classroom training (in case of the pandemic discruption), the average learning time per day is up to 3 hours plus 30-60 minutes of study time (depending on the day).
The programme consists of 3 mutually reinforcing building blocks:
1) Online learning path will be focused on the following key selected modules:
- Orientation: 8 October, 2.00-4.00 pm CEST (2 hours)
- UN System Leadership Framework: Webinar on *14 October, 2.00-4.00 pm CEST (2 hours)
- Leading through Communication: Webinar on *21 October, 2.00-4.00 pm CEST (2 hours)
- Managing Emotions: An Intro to Emotional Intelligence: Webinar on *28 October, 2.00-4.00 pm CEST (2 hours)
- Managing Up: Webinar on *4 November, 2.00-4.00 pm CEST (2 hours)
* Some modifications to the agenda and time schedule are possible. Find your local time zone: click here.
- The programme’s engaging online micro-content is designed to respond to the needs and challenges of managers and leaders across the UN system. The two hour-long weekly webinars are delivered by renowned subject-matter experts from the UNSSC’s academic network and across the UN system.
- Participants can expect consolidation of takeaways through reflective practices, and social learning that facilitates information exchange, and peer-to-peer learning in a moderated forum.
- Each module is released weekly allowing for a structured approach to learning.
2) 360-degree Assessment and Individual Coaching Sessions
We strive to ensure that the learning opportunities we offer are meaningful.
- UNSSC uses a 360-degree Assessment tool specifically tailored and aligned to the UN System Leadership Framework.
- Two one-hour individual coaching sessions are to assist participants to review 360-degree Assessment results, to make sense of learning, to help reflect on personal development goals and to address priorities.
3) Residential Training, Turin (ITALY)
- Day 1, November 8, 2021: Leadership theories, styles and influencing (*Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to 3 hours))
- Day 2, November 9, 2021: Leadership charisma, emotional intelligence and leadership culture (*Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to 3 hours))
- Day 3, November 10, 2021: Communication and public speaking as your leadership tools (*Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to 3 hours))
- Day 4, November 11, 2021: Transformational and self-applied leadership: evolution as a leader (*Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to 3 hours))
- Day 5, November 12, 2021: Leadership journeys in the UN. Reaching our destination. Closing (*Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to 3 hours))
*UNSSC reserves the right to deliver this component through digital means (via Zoom) in the eventuality of continued disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic or other wide-spread constraints affecting the UN system.
UN staff at the P3 level or, exceptionally, P2/National Professional Officers level, with managerial experience and responsibilities both at headquarters and in the field. By nomination and open enrolment.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The programme fee of $3,000 covers:
- A pre-residential component, including a 360-degree leadership assessment aligned with the UN System Leadership Framework and pre-readings;
- Four-week online learning path with micro-content designed to respond to the needs and challenges of middle-managers and leaders across the UN system accompanied with weekly webinars and moderated forum;
- A five-day residential training on UNSSC campus, Turin (Italy) composed of:
- Sessions with leading experts/leaders;
- Interactions between participants, instructors and peers;
- Individual and group activities and interactive exercises;
- Takeaways and commitments;
- Unlimited access to the dedicated online learning platform with: Curated Resources Repository (recording of webinars, virtual sessions, activities, readings, tools, videos related to the content of the programme, moderated forum, etc.)
- Two 60-minute individual coaching sessions
Refreshments will be provided during the programme. The fee does not include travel, accommodation or meals.
Certificates from the United Nations System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.