Please note that, on account of the ongoing global health crisis, we are considering to transition the UNELE to a virtual format this year. While we will miss meeting you in person, we remain committed to creating an engaging virtual experience for you. During the current outbreak we consider this plan also as an act of institutional responsibility to avoid placing at risk unnecessarily the safety and health of participants and trainers. We foresee the new virtual programme to be scheduled in the Fall 2020 and will update this page in due time.
Middle-managers are often seen as status quo agents, reproducing conservative ways of thinking and working. But UN professionals managing teams have the potential to boost their impact and increase the number of people they inspire, thus counteracting this stereotype.
This leadership programme allows you to distinguish perception with reality by giving you concrete tools to understand yourself and to unleash your leadership potential.
By completing this programme, you will gain practical skills and benefit from a wider professional network to better lead your team and influence your supervisors.
Upon successful completion of the programme you will be able to:
- Identify your own leadership style, recognizing your strengths to build on and what challenges to overcome
- Develop public-speaking and facilitation techniques to apply in front of a wide array of audiences
- Cultivate stronger connections by networking with UN colleagues working in various duty stations
- Identify effective techniques to prepare for a negotiation and to influence relevant stakeholders
This face-to-face leadership programme combines lectures by external experts and senior UN staff with interactive and participatory sessions and exercises. You will analyse relevant case studies, exchange with peers yours and their experiences and practice different skills to then apply in the workplace.
You will be asked to complete a 360 assessment to share with your colleagues before arriving to the training. The five-day training will require your full attention for at least 6.5 hours per day.
In this programme you will go through a self-awareness journey. You will discover the most effective leadership styles in your working environment and what communication and influencing techniques to apply.
- Leadership concepts and styles of leadership
- Emotional resilience and confidence
- Exploring individual strengths and weaknesses through 360 assessment
- Influencing and managing upwards
- Peer coaching
- Public speaking and facilitation
UN staff at the P3 level or, exceptionally, P2 level with managerial experience and responsibilities.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The programme fee of $3,000 covers:
- A pre-residential component, including a 360-degree leadership assessment and/or personality assessment and pre-readings;
- A five-day face-to-face training;
- All learning material and access to the UNSSC learning platform;
- One networking event with faculty members and programme participants;
- Follow up activities and continued alumni networking opportunities.
Refreshments will be provided during the programme. The fee does not include travel, accommodation or meals.