Geared to mid-level UN staff, this unique digital learning programme will help you refine your leadership and management abilities. The programme will enable you to develop yourself and work better with others. In honing how you apply the key behaviours of the UN System Leadership Framework, the programme will help position you to transition to increased leadership roles.
UN Emerging Leaders e-Learning builds upon the signature elements of the previous face-to-face UN Emerging Leaders Experience and introduces new features to create a rich, lasting learning experience, that is:
- Driven by the leadership vision of the UN System Leadership Framework, which has been adopted by the Chief Executives Board (CEB) for all UN personnel regardless of their level, duties and location;
- Strongly anchored in a value-based leadership approach, and a leadership culture called for in the UN System Leadership Framework, which is applicable across mandates and areas of operation in the UN;
- Reflective of the changes in the UN system, enabling and inspiring transformational and behavioural change through a rich immersive learning experience;
- Integrated with content on managerial competencies, fundamentals of people management and emotional intelligence;
- Accompanied by two individual coaching sessions to help translate the learning into improved performance and practical insights.
The programme will enable middle managers to tap into their leadership potential, and prepare them to approach transitions with courage, confidence and trust. By completing this programme, participants gain practical skills and benefit from a wider professional network to better lead and influence.
Click here to read the summary results and testimonials of the 2022 edition and here to read the spotlight interviews to learn more about the Programme.
Upon successful completion of the programme, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a common reference to a value-based leadership approach and be able to deliver on the UN’s mandates;
- Explore personal leadership styles, recognizing strengths to build on and what challenges to overcome;
- Apply mindsets and transformational leadership behaviours using the UN System Leadership Framework;
- Take specific actions to develop and sustain an effective relationship with their supervisor that supports both of them working at their best;
- Enhance their communication skills to build and sustain lasting relationships with team members and stakeholders;
- Act with increased self-awareness and emotional intelligence;
- Explore how unconscious bias, discrimination, social norms and identities impact relationships at work, and how they can, as UN leaders, foster an inclusive environment;
- Cultivate stronger connections by networking with UN colleagues working in various duty stations.
UNEL-e is an immersive virtual learning journey which makes use of mixed methodologies and formats as it combines asynchronous and synchronous activities through a unique skill-based online modular programme; a virtual face-to-face component; a 360-degree assessment; and individual coaching.
The programme supports (1) knowledge acquisition, (2) knowledge application, and (3) personalization and knowledge transfer. UNEL-e seeks to promote and support the managerial and leadership culture transformation formalized in the UN System Leadership Framework, by strengthening participants’ capability to fulfil their roles as managers and leaders who can drive fast and efficient transformational change.
As part of the learning experience, participants also gain exposure to leading professionals and subject-matter experts in the field of leadership, access to UN specific knowledge, documents and experience, state-of-the-art resources from top universities and consulting firms, and knowledge resources from UN staff members who are UNSSC leadership and management alumni.
Weeks 1- 4
The first 4 weeks online give participants the opportunity to experience learner-centered design and scenario-based learning through a self-paced learning path from selected management and leadership modules. These are complemented by webinars, which consist of a weekly average of five to six hours.
The final two weeks of virtual classroom training are designed to complement learning through practice, peer and instructor interaction, individual and group activities, as well as brainstorming and experience sharing that will take place in the virtual face-to-face format.
Average learning time per day is up to three hours plus 30-60 minutes of study time (depending on the day).
The programme consists of three mutually reinforcing building blocks:
1) Online learning path will be focused on the following key selected modules:
- Orientation: 21 February 2023, 2.00-4.00 pm CET (two hours)*
- UN System Leadership Framework: Webinar on 2 March, 2023, 2.00-4.00 pm CET (two hours)*
- Managing Emotions: An Intro to Emotional Intelligence: Webinar on 9 March 2023, 2.00-4.00 pm CET (two hours)*
- Leading through Communication: Webinar on 16 March 2023, 2.00-4.00 pm CET (two hours)*
- Managing Up: Webinar on 23 March 2023, 2.00-4.00 pm CET (two hours)*
* Some modifications to the agenda and time schedule are possible. Find your local time zone: click here.
- The programme’s engaging online micro-content is designed to respond to the needs and challenges of managers and leaders across the UN system. The two hour-long weekly webinars are delivered by renowned subject-matter experts from UNSSC’s academic network and across the UN system.
- Participants can expect consolidation of takeaways through reflective practices and social learning that facilitates information exchange, and peer-to-peer learning in a moderated forum.
- Each module is released weekly allowing for a structured approach to learning.
2) 360-degree Assessment and Individual Coaching Sessions
We strive to ensure that the learning opportunities we offer are meaningful.
- UNSSC uses a 360-degree Assessment tool specifically tailored and aligned to the UN System Leadership Framework.
- Two one-hour individual coaching sessions are to assist participants to review 360-degree assessment results, to make sense of learning, to help reflect on personal development goals and to address priorities.
3) Virtual Classroom Training (up to three hours online activities for real-time engagement per day for six days)
- Day 1, 27 March, 2023: Leadership styles and influencing, Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to three hours)
- Day 2, 29 March, 2023: Practicing emotional intelligence and leadership culture, Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to three hours)
- Day 3, 30 March, 2023: Diversity and Inclusion- key to leadership, Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to three hours)
- Day 4, 3 April, 2023: Communication, storying-telling and public speaking as your leadership tools, Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to three hours)
- Day 5, 5 April, 2023: Leading for Motivation, Collaboration and Engagement, Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to three hours)
- Day 6, 6 April, 2023: Leadership journeys in the UN. Reaching our destination. Closing, Zoom Meeting from 2.00-5.00 pm CEST/ 8.00-11.00 am EST (up to three hours)
*Virtual Breaks are factored into the live sessions of the virtual classroom training.
UN staff at the P3 level primarily, and P2/National Professional Officers level, with managerial experience and responsibilities both at headquarters and in the field. By nomination and open enrolment.
Cost of participation
The programme fee of $3,400 covers:
- Four-week online learning path with micro-content designed to respond to the needs and challenges of middle-managers and leaders across the UN system accompanied by weekly webinars and a moderated forum;
- 360-degree Assessment aligned with the UN System Leadership Framework;
- Six intensive days of virtual classroom training composed of:
- Live sessions with leading experts/leaders;
- Interactions between participants, instructors and peers;
- Individual and group activities;
- Takeaways and commitments;
- Unlimited access to the dedicated online learning platform with: Curated Resources Repository (recording of webinars, virtual sessions, activities, readings, tools, videos related to the content of the programme, moderated forum, leadership challenge, behaviour buddy system, etc.)
- Two 60-minute individual coaching sessions
Certificates from the United Nations System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.