In direct response to the call by UN Secretary-General António Guterres to reposition the UN development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda and to work towards “a new generation of Country Teams that are tailored to the specific needs of each country,” this course will enable senior UN officials of UN Country Teams to become strong sustainable development advocates and to meet the ambition of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in line with national priorities and needs.
Participants will deepen their knowledge, share practices and acquire key skills to drive the transformative 2030 Agenda. They will engage with relevant approaches to integrated policy support and cross-sectoral programming to adapt the country support their UN entities provide to enhance the delivery of nationally owned results. This programme builds negotiation, consensus building and communications skills, and presents concrete ways to apply these skills and capabilities in highly demanding country contexts. A full day training on stakeholder engagement and consensus building as well as a daylong media training at the professional studios of the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle, will complement the intense training programme.
Upon the successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Demonstrate a better understanding of the vision and principles underlying the 2030 Agenda and understand consequences for implementation, including through practical approaches to sustainable development;
- Demonstrate a better understanding of conceptual approaches to integrated policy support and programming;
- Demonstrate improved consensus building and negotiation skills;
- Apply the art of effective communication to improve the quality of dialogue with partners and stakeholders, increase advocacy and highlight results achieved by the UN and partners in the context of the 2030 Agenda.
This face-to-face course combines inputs and lectures by subject matter experts and senior UN staff with opportunities for knowledge sharing and participatory exercises. Participants are led to apply their learning through case studies, team discussions and dialogues with the speakers.
Sustainable Development Vision and Principles; Challenges and opportunities of repositioning the UN System; Improving political acumen & negotiation skills; Strengthening communications and advocacy skills.
UN Country Team members at the level of P5 and above.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 5500 USD will cover the following:
- Five days of training, including a full day media training to foster competencies to handle various kinds of interviews and press conferences effectively.
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, accommodation expenses will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who attends the academy.