Through this online course, participants strengthen their conflict-management skills and learn how to become more effective in influencing others, by practising techniques to engage in productive debates and to develop more flexible leadership styles.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able:
- Apply interpersonal skills to more effectively communicate, listen and handle conflicts;
- Accomplish goals and control outcomes when dealing with staff, peers, management and other departments;
- Analyse their own and others’ style of behaviour and recognize their strengths/weaknesses;
- Identify their primary leadership style and techniques to achieve the most out of that style;
- Develop more flexibility to use other leadership styles, according to the context;
- Practice ways to engage in productive debate.
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronized sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject matter experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted on the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required, but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The five synchronized online sessions are from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome-time (8:00 am – 10:00 am New York-time).
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on the UNKampus, UNSSC’s virtual learning platform.
- Topic 1 – Leadership Style and Personality Types: Our organization has placed each of us into supervisory positions. Does this mean we are leaders? Is leadership the same as management? What are the characteristics of effective leaders? In this webinar, we will address leadership vs. management. In addition, we will discuss the importance of personality styles in how we lead and influence others.
- Topic 2 – Teamwork and Managing People: Supervisors are in the people business. Whether people on our teams or a person up and across the organization, much of our success at work (and in life) comes down to relationships with others. Yet the demands of our jobs can make it seem impossible to take the time required to initiate and build relationships. In this webinar, we will talk about specific strategies to help you build and maintain relationships that will help you succeed at work. In addition, we will discuss how you can help your team move from a collection of people to a motivated, high performing team.
- Topic 3 – Managing Time and Commitments, and Delegating: "Too much to do. Too little time to do it!” That's a phrase we often hear from leaders. The focus of this session is helping supervisors manage their time and commitments. This is not a traditional time management session. It is much more holistic than just tools and techniques. We will see how managing our time is more than just having a to-do list. We will include discussions about managing our energy, interruptions, priorities, e-mail, and paperwork.
- Topic 4 – Coaching and Influencing Skills for Supervisors: What is influence? Is it the same as power? When does influence become manipulation? Though supervisors have some authority because of their position, they are constantly faced with the need to influence without authority. This learning session teaches well-researched perspectives and techniques to help the participants increase their ability to influence others.
- Topic 5 – Being a Successful Leader and Supervisor: One measure of a successful leader is how many leaders they help grow and mentor. How can you develop the people around you when you are extremely busy yourself? How can you be a resource for growing and mentoring others in your organization, even if they don't report to you? How can you continue to grow your own leadership capabilities, all the more challenging in light of the demands of your job? This session directly addresses these questions, with practical insights to help you continue to develop yourself and those around you, helping you build a legacy of success as a leader.
UN staff with 1st level supervisory responsibilities
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 750 USD covers full participation in the online course.