The world needs credible and convincing leaders capable of telling powerful stories to successfully achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The ability to communicate a clear, concise and compelling vision of a more sustainable future is at the heart of successful, strategic leadership. Recognising communication as a core leadership function, this three-day executive course equips senior UN staff, as well as senior public and private sector representatives, with the skills and strategic toolkit they need to strengthen support for the 2030 Agenda.
Through intensive personalised media coaching and high-level media training at the studios of the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW), participants will enhance their ability to successfully mobilise, motivate and inspire their organisations, partners and stakeholders. An intense media boot camp, which includes crisis communication, will form an important part of the training programme.
The course enables participants to apply the art of strategic and effective communication to improve the quality of dialogue with partners and stakeholders, understand diverse audiences and forge new partnerships, and increase advocacy and highlight results achieved by their organization in support of the 2030 Agenda. Application-oriented learning methods will prompt participants to apply their learning in various exercises, including a final public speaking project addressing a specific challenge which will be prepared and delivered by the participants themselves, with the assistance of highly qualified media professionals.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development with a view to crafting strategic narratives around it;
- Have acquired a good understanding of means and ways to craft convincing, powerful and strategic narratives, that are clear, concise, credible, issue-focused and appeal to the stakeholders’ priorities;
- Be equipped with the skills required to credibly convey and deliver messages in support of the sustainable development agenda, highlighting results achieved by their organizations in the context of the 2030 Agenda;
- Have enhanced their communication skills with regards to traditional and new media and will have identified concrete areas for personal improvement.
The training programme offers a mix of knowledge and skills for effectively communicating the progress made on the implementation and results of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement. The course adopts a blended format of instructional sessions, application-oriented activities and peer-to-peer learning.
Overview and evolution of the concept of sustainable development, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), its vision and principles, as well as the Paris Agreement; means and ways to craft clear, concise, credible and issue-focused narratives in support of the sustainable development agenda with a view to building ownership for the agenda at different levels; knowledge of latest tools and techniques as well as skills required to credibly convey and deliver messages with regards to traditional and new media; employing new approaches and effective and innovative tools and resources to highlight results achieved by one’s organisation; visualisation and use of accessible language; use of social media within the parameters of the UN; action planning.
Senior UN staff (P5 and above), senior public and private sector representatives and other key stakeholders.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 3500 USD covers the following:
- Three days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises.
- Exclusive access to a UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel and lodging costs related to their attendance of the course.
Certificates from the United Nations System Staff College will be awarded to participants upon completion of the course.