Presenting an organization's policies and work convincingly to live audiences is a core leadership responsibility that requires smart supporting teamwork. Any speaker wants the audience to be impressed, and to hear a subliminal message: 'That was good. This speaker is a real leader. More please!'
This online programme enables participants to prepare clear, engaging and memorable talking-points and speeches for any occasion - both for senior colleagues and themselves. It covers key principles of public speaking and practical techniques for making drafts lively and easy to use.
Coursework draws on real-life UN examples, including 'live' work shared by course participants.
The programme is designed and delivered in collaboration with former ambassador Charles Crawford. A communication and negotiation specialist and public speaking expert, he draws from 28 years’ experience in the British diplomatic service and now leads the Executive Communication and Technique programme at The Ambassador Partnership LLP.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Describe and start applying key speechwriting principles and techniques, while detecting and addressing past issues encountered in drafting, delivering or organizing a speech within the UN context
- Analyse and identify structures, signposts, stories and other practical tools which make a speech effective and engaging to the audience
- Prepare effective presentations with the help of visual effects
- Remove ‘verbose words’, use simple but effective language, and adapt the speech according to the audience
- Apply pros and cons of different approaches to live audiences while developing talking-points and writing speeches
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronised online sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
This course uses a flipped classroom approach where participants go through recorded webinar each week at their own pace, complete weekly activities and post on discussion forums. The instructor provides feedback to the posts from week 1 to 4. During this period there will be no live webinars.
During week 5, participants complete and submit an assignment based on the learnings from week 1 to 4. They will then participate in a live webinar with the instructor from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome Time / 8:00 am – 10:00 am New York Time.
The webinar session will be conducted on the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either a headset with microphone or a telephone to connect to the audio through the computer. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer.
We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
- Week 1 – Public speaking in the UN family: problems and solutions: Identify key problems with UN family public speaking; avoid jargon and managing ‘sensitivities’; recognize and apply basic principles of successful speaking.
- Week 2 – What makes an effective speech? Get the right tone, start and finish strong and engage your audience effectively.
- Week 3 – Practical aspects of preparing talking-points/short speech: Lay out talking-points to make them easy to use, identify the tones to use in various events, engage with the speaker with details, twit if needed to make the event more successful.
- Week 4 – Speaking-notes and speechwriting within the UN system: Discover how talking-points and short speeches are prepared within the UN system as well as useful cultural differences in public speaking.
- Week 5 – Participants’ videos and key messages: Practice, prepare and deliver an effective short speech, evaluated by your peers and the course instructor.
Special Assistants, Communication, Public information and information Officers, Coordination Specialists, Programme Staff, Team Leaders and Thematic Specialists who tend to have the responsibility of preparing speeches for management.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of USD 1,000 covers full participation in the online course.