The course is full and further registration cannot be accepted. To know more about future editions of the course please visit UNSSC's website or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The course is offered with a view to strengthen the skills of UN staff and key partners in selecting, creating, using and interpreting data and statistics, with a focus on public policy-making and implementation. It builds on both traditional methods of data analytics as well as more recent applications related to, for instance, mobile technology, crowdsourcing and big data.
The course is designed and delivered in partnership with the Data Pop Alliance, a global coalition on Big Data and development created by The Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, MIT Media Lab and the Overseas Development Institute along with the Flowminder Foundation. The coalition brings together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to promote a people-centred Big Data revolution through collaborative research, capacity building, and community engagement.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will have:
- Heightened awareness of and interest in the main applications and implications of the most recent debates and advances in Big Data and sustainable development;
- An increased understanding and capacity to actively and constructively engage in and with Big Data in their work ;
- Motivation and ability to create partnerships with various stakeholders within and outside of their organization to develop effective, sustainable solutions using Big Data sources and methodologies;
- Skills to help apply course lessons and key concepts towards policy implementation and project development through session activities and adaptation of the Big Data and sustainable development course toolkit.
The training programme will use a blend of teaching and learning modalities, including traditional presentations, a keynote, interactive technical tutorials, group work, and a Data Expedition.
The course is open to UN and Non-UN participants with an interest in Big Data and sustainable development-related issues and innovation. The course is designed primarily to the needs of project management professionals and staff with introductory to intermediate skills in statistics and economics.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course is offered at a fee of USD 1,750 per participant, covering the following:
- Reception and three days of training with a balance of presentations, full group and small group work on case studies and exercises;
- Exclusive access to online resources on Big Data and Sustainable Development;
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Certificates of attendance from the UN System Staff College and Data-Pop Alliance will be awarded to participants who complete the course.