Leading in the UN: a Deep Dive is offered by the United Nations System Staff College in collaboration with the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation.
You will be immersed in a unique leadership development journey that will challenge you to transform yourself, your sphere of influence —and thereby your organizations.
The programme comprises:
- A one-on-one goal-setting online conversations to define your learning intentions and prepare you to make the most out of this opportunity
- A four-day intensive face-to-face experiential learning experience held in the Swedish summer home of the second UN Secretary-General. This phase of the programme combines intellectual stimulation, practical exercises, reflection sessions, team building moments and guided tours to explore the Markings of Dag Hammarskjöld and reflect on their meaning and application in the current context
- Two follow-up online group sessions that will help you to further the application of learning acquired and keep drawing on the Deep Dive Community’s support
The experienced facilitation team certified by the Scherer Leadership Center will take you through a series of activities, including individual reflection sessions, small group exercises and plenary dialogues. Much of the learning process is peer-to-peer and relies on the establishment of a safe space to consult, learn from and challenge each other. The programme builds on a series of five questions, each one of which has been developed to assist you to reflect on your habitual mindset and patterns of behaviour and, consequently, grow your leadership skills in alignment with your personally defined “greater purpose”.
Furthermore, the programme seeks to ground your leadership reflections in the Markings of Dag Hammarskjöld’s life and legacy. The reflections on the importance of upholding ethics and integrity in your leadership practice will be made all the richer by the iconic backdrop of Backåkra, where the face-to-face phase of the programme is held. Explore more about Backåcra in the Multimedia Gallery below.
Upon successful completion of this programme, you will have:
- Enhanced your communication skills, including listening more deeply, with authenticity and awareness of your intentions as well as those of others
- Heightened your leadership self-awareness, including insight on old behaviour patterns and mindsets as well as fresh approaches to take for greater effectiveness
- Increased your confidence and capacity to address personal and interpersonal conflicts, and challenges
- Articulated your greater purpose, including core values, passions and areas where you will continue to grow and stretch
- Deepened your knowledge about Dag Hammarskjöld’s contributions to UN Leadership and reflect on how these contributions relate to today’s needs, challenges and opportunities for international leaders
- Developed a mutually-supportive network of co-leaders/learners committed to the values of the UN Charter
The programme represents the beginning of a journey of inner awareness. It includes a one-on-one goal-setting conversation with a facilitator prior to the start of programme, a four-day intensive workshop and two group sessions after the programme that help you to apply what you have learned and continue your development.
There are sessions that challenge your current way of thinking; sessions that relax and strengthen your body; sessions that deepen your connection to that which is most important in your life and in your work. Even though the pace is intense, it is not pressured.
- Staff at senior level (P5 and above) from the UN and affiliated organizations.
- Highly experienced professionals operating in relevant fields of international cooperation and sustainable development
- The “Deep Dive” is complementary to UNSSC’s UN Leaders Programme and is an offering for alumni.
- It is designed for people who have already begun to explore their leadership potential. However, any leader facing difficult challenges will find the experience beneficial.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of $4000 includes tuition and training materials. Participants or their sponsoring organizations are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course.