During this programme, participants gain a better understanding of different approaches to leadership, as well as the gender aspects of leadership and the challenges and opportunities for women in UN leadership roles.
Various dynamics of power, influence and negotiation will be explored to develop a set of skills and competencies in communication for transformative and charismatic leadership, effective negotiation and change management.
Participants are also able to increase self-awareness to realize their full leadership potential through 360-degree leadership assessment.
This programme is now running in its fourth year.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Demonstrate a better understanding of different approaches to leadership, as well as gender aspects of leadership and challenges and opportunities for women in UN leadership roles;
- Apply enhanced skills in communication for transformative and charismatic leadership, effective negotiation, and change management to act as change agents and contribute to a more agile and effective UN;
- Exercise greater self-awareness of individual strengths and areas for development, while exploring personal leadership style preferences to unlock their authentic leadership style;
- Implement personal leadership action plans with a focus on growth objectives;
- Benefit from continued exchange with a strengthened system-wide network of women leaders.
The methodology is dynamic, combining interactive lectures by experts with discussion and consultation; practical exercises; peer-exchange and networking; and individual and group reflection.
The programme is delivered by a faculty composed of academic experts, practitioners, trainers, and senior UN officials.
Topics tailored by edition, may include: Gender Dimensions of Leadership; Leadership, Communication, Gender and Influence; Political Acumen, Leadership Influence and Strategic Negotiation; Managing Change; Action Planning
Female UN staff at the P4-P5 level, preparing for senior leadership roles. By nomination and open enrolment.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
This course fee of 5,500 USD covers programme material, access to the online UN Kampus learning platform, action plan, 360-degree leadership assessment and personality profile.
“Leadership, Women and the UN is an excellent course – very well organized and facilitated, top notch speakers, practical and results oriented. I have concretely strengthened my leadership skills and my working style. I left the course with an action plan that I am implementing and tracking. And the extra bonus was getting to know so many interesting and accomplished women. Highly recommended!” Erin Maura Kenney, Chief of Staff, WHO
“I feel truly transformed to another level of leadership. I have a new sense of direction, I am strengthened in my skills and have reached a greater level of self-awareness. The wisdom shared by speakers and participants will stay with me for a very long time!” Theresia Redigolo, OHCHR Training Officer | Chief of Unit
“It felt really transformational. A key moment to think and reflect not only as a manager, but as a person. It was a special atmosphere between participants, and I highly appreciated the interagency dynamic.” Yasmin Keith-Krelik, UNHCR Snr. Programme Officer