The United Nations and its Member States face an array of complex and interrelated challenges to global peace. While the universal and comprehensive agenda for sustainable development and Sustaining Peace pledge to “leave no one behind”, the goals of peaceful coexistence and development are at risk in many countries.
The Sustaining Peace concept emerging from UN General Assembly and UN Security Council “twin-resolutions” marks a renewal of the UN’s commitment to the goal of preventing and resolving armed conﬂicts. It also calls for a shift from silo-driven responses to new innovative ways of achieving collective and cumulative impact attaining to reach sustainable peace.
The resolutions articulate the need for a comprehensive, whole-of-system preventive lens to be applied to all development and humanitarian action and for inclusive peacebuilding approaches across the life cycle of conflict. Prevention is the foundation of building and sustaining peace. We need this approach more, now, than ever.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the concept and the core elements of Sustaining Peace;
- Explain the importance and role of the UN to promote sustaining peace;
- Articulate how Sustaining Peace relates to peacekeeping, peacebuilding, development, and humanitarian action;
- Explain the success factors to take the Sustaining Peace forward.
In contrast to the less collaborative format of traditional Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), the online course combines tutored components with synchronous and asynchronous activities, as well as group work and collaboration with peers. In addition to engaging in self-paced learning, participants in UNSSC online course also benefit from live webinars with renowned experts and practitioners on sustaining peace, allowing real-time virtual interaction between the instructors and participants. The instructor led webinars for this course will take place every week between 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm CET or 8 am – 10 am EST.
Through videos and key reading material, participants will dive deeper into each week’s focus area. In addition, case studies, good practices and tutored discussions will enhance the learning experience and deepen participants’ interaction and exchange on all components of the course.
This course will be developed and hosted on UNSSC’s online platform, which allows learners a high degree of flexibility to access content at their pace, and from anywhere at any time.
- Week 1: Understanding Sustaining Peace
- Week 2: Peacekeeping, Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace
- Week 3: Sustaining Peace and Development
- Week 4: Sustaining Peace and Humanitarian Action
- Week 5: Implementing Sustaining Peace
UN staff, practitioners outside the UN system interested in stepping up their capacity to deliver the Sustaining Peace agenda and work across the humanitarian-development-peace nexus.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 500 USD covers the following:
- Unlimited access to course materials (video and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations;
- Participation in live webinars with renowned experts on Sustaining Peace;
- Exposure to peer-to-peer learning process through group work and online asynchronous activities;
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
Certificates of Participation will be awarded to participants, subject to completion of all modules and quizzes, successful submission of exercises and assignments, and full participation in all live online sessions and discussion forums for each topic covered in the course.