The ability to make rapid and effective decisions based on accurate and timely data is more critical than ever. This three-week online foundational course is designed to enhance the ability of UN personnel to effectively apply and use data in their work. It is geared to those in research, analytics and reporting, as well as those who wish to expand their knowledge and ability to access, use, interpret and communicate data.
Upon successful completion of the programme, participants will be able to:
- Debunk data myths
- Identify different applications for data
- Use data analytics to effectively tell a story
- Understand the process of data analysis
- Describe data biases and outline quality assurance strategies to prevent them
This course is delivered entirely online. It combines live webinar sessions, led by subject-matter experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly instructor-led webinars are conducted in the Zoom online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required; but participants must be able to access Zoom. We will send instructions for Zoom access to registered participants and recommend that you download the application and test your access in advance.
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
Week 1: Data Basics and de-bunking myths around data
- UN policy framework on data
- Basics of Data / Big Data
- Understanding data, sources and cleaning
- Five reasons I might be afraid of data and how to get over them
- Statistics 101 – Three key pillars that everyone should manage
Week 2: Essential Toolbox
- The foundations of data
- How to read a graph
- Data Storytelling
- KPI, Metrics and Dashboards
Week 3: Decision making
- Data informed approaches
- The process of data analysis
- Bias in data and how to avoid it
- Principles of quality assurance
- How to ensure data integrity
All UN personnel (professional and general service staff) at headquarters and field locations.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee is $600.