The foundational course equips participants with a sound understanding of the concept of sustainable development as well as the vision and principles of the 2030 Agenda. It explores the three pillars of sustainable development while taking a look at the inter-linkages between climate change, planetary boundaries, social inclusion and human rights. It also identifies key lessons from the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals and the significant differences in the new agenda.
Over a duration of five weeks, the various modules of this course will focus on the new elements of the 2030 Agenda; how to implement and develop strategies to localise the agenda; and the role of data in the review and follow-up framework.
This course is developed by the UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development in partnership with the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN). Thanks to the generous contribution of the Federal Republic of Germany, this course is offered at a reduced price of USD 500.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Benefit from an in-depth understanding of the 2030 Agenda including the features and role of the SDG results framework, means of implementation and global partnerships;
- Be able to analyse the role of the UN as well as other stakeholders in supporting national implementation of the 2030 Agenda;
- Be equipped with an understanding the SDG review and follow-up framework;
- Demonstrate an improved understanding of the role they can play at a personal and institutional level in contributing to the implementation of the SDGs.
In contrast to the less collaborative format of traditional Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), UNSSC online courses combine tutored components with synchronous and asynchronous activities, comprising approximately two hours of knowledge acquisition, two hours of knowledge application to real-life and training scenarios, as well as group work and collaboration with peers. In addition to engaging in self-paced learning, participants in UNSSC online courses also benefit from live webinars with renowned experts on sustainable development, allowing real-time virtual interaction between the instructors and participants.
The instructor-led webinars for this course will take place every week between 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm CET or 8.00 am – 10.00 am EST. These live sessions are conducted on the WebEx platform with toll and toll-free numbers and/or ability to connect via the internet for the audio component; no special software is required.
- Week 1: Vision and principles of the new agenda. Three pillars of sustainable development, including modules taking an in-depth look at topics such as climate change, planetary boundaries, social inclusion, and human rights.
- Week 2: SDG Results Framework. Overview of the history of the SDGs and importance of a truly integrated approach to goal-based planning for sustainable development.
- Week 3: Means of implementation (financing for development, global partnership and global governance). Means of implementation and guiding principles related to the topics of finance, governance, and partnerships as they relate to the SDGs.
- Week 4: Localisation of the 2030 Agenda and design of national strategies. Designing national and local strategies in alignment with the 2030 Agenda including useful tools and also the role of technology and innovation in sustainable development.
- Week 5: Review and Follow-up framework. The 2030 Agenda’s follow-up and review system as well as a module on the data revolution as it relates to sustainable development.
UN staff and development practitioners.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee covers the following:
- Unlimited access to course materials (video and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations.
- Participation in live webinars with renowned experts on sustainable development.
- Exposure to peer-to-peer learning process through group work and online asynchronous activities.
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
Certificates of Participation will be awarded to participants, subject to completion of all modules and quizzes, successful submission of exercises and assignments, and full participation in all live online sessions and discussion forums for each topic covered in the course.