The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and UN management reform call for UN managers to lead effective teams, implement changes and ultimately strengthen the UN’s capacities to achieve the 2030 Agenda.
UNSSC puts you in control of your own learning, giving you access to a unique collection of leadership and management modules tailor-made for leaders and managers across the UN system.
The curriculum includes a continually expanding collection of leadership and management-related modules. Modules on management span four different dimensions of management, including people management, planning, programme implementation and resource management. The modules on leadership elaborate on the characteristics and behaviours embodied in the UN System Leadership Framework and explore key aspects, amongst others, of ethical and transformational leadership.
Upon successful completion of the programme, participants will be able to:
- Create high-performing teams, by motivating and coaching staff, and supporting their career development. Monitor and evaluate staff performance and address under-performance in a constructive manner
- Translate overall visions into realistic goals, by planning strategically, implementing result-based management systems, mitigating risks, and managing resources and funds successfully
- Communicate effectively with staff, senior managers and peers. Build and maintain long-term partnership with key stakeholders
- Adopt key practices and tools to ensure proper leadership and management of projects and programmes, delegate and monitor tasks easily, and communicate and deal with risks successfully
- Explain the key characteristics of UN leadership and support the adoption of leadership behaviours embodied in the UN System Leadership Framework.
- Create a UN inter-agency peer network
This programme follows learner-centered design and scenario-based learning. It is a self-paced learning path delivered entirely online.
Participants can start at any time, choosing the learning components that best fit their needs and complete the modules and activities at their own pace, as well as sign-up for upcoming new modules.
The Extended E-Certificate on Leadership and Management programme offers:
- A micro-learning experience characterized by small knowledge units (modules and micro-lessons) where participants consolidate and reflect on learnings through the creation of micro-content (multimodal forum replies, blog posts, etc.).
- Scenario-based learning exposing participants to unique real-life challenges and tasks of UN managers
- Consolidation of takeaways through reflective practices and social learning to facilitate information exchange and peer-to-peer learning
- Unlimited access to all modules for one calendar year from the date of enrolment.
Participants will be granted unlimited access to all modules for one calendar year from the date of enrolment. The UNSSC dedicated e-learning platform tracks completion of individual modules. A final certificate will be released to participants completing a total of 25 e-learning modules across all tracks.
Each module is estimated to require approximately three to four hours of study time to complete at your own pace.
The Extended E-Certificate on Leadership and Management offers a unique learning path structured on the following key managerial areas:
- People. This area includes modules on issues such as: Active Listening, Handling Difficult Conversations, Coaching Others Effectively, Resolving Conflicts and Motivating Yourself and Others.
- Resources. This area includes modules on issues such as budgeting and managing financial resources.
- Implementation. This area includes modules on issues such as: Leading Effective Meetings and Delegating Tasks.
- Vision. This area includes modules on issues such as strategic planning and Risk Communication.
New modules on leadership and management-related issues will be periodically released and made available to registered participants throughout 2021.
The programme is delivered through UNSSC's Blueline e-learning platform. By completing the certification programme, participants will have access to an exclusive alumni network for continuous learning around key leadership and management-related topics.
UN officials at all levels with management and leadership functions at headquarters and in the field.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The programme fee of $2,000 includes access to all modules for one calendar year from the date of enrolment.