On 31 May 2018, all 193 UN Member States agreed to take forward the most significant change process of the UN development system to make the UN fit for purpose to support the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. To effectively support Member States in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, UN responses need to be strategic, flexible, as well as results and action oriented. The UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework should reflect the UN’s contribution to improving people’s lives while respecting the choices and opportunities open to them. It is integral to a UN system that is more focused, relevant, and invested in the value-add that the UN brings to a country. The new Cooperation Framework Guidance was adopted by the UN Sustainable Development Group, introducing a single framework guiding UN support on the 2030 Agenda, including in humanitarian and crisis contexts.
This course enables UN staff at country level and those in oversight and support roles at regional and global level to design more flexible and impactful medium- to long-term strategic frameworks for the UN, governments and other stakeholders to improve people’s lives and leave no one behind. The course offers a mix of knowledge and skills to build the capacities of the UN to design a Cooperation Framework as a vehicle for leveraging financing and investment. The course also demonstrates how the Cooperation Framework can be used as an advocacy strategy, an enabler for greater efficiencies, and as a compact for mutual accountability and transparency. The course will strengthen participants' knowledge of UN programming tools and instruments and their practical application in UN development work.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- possess a common understanding of the 2030 Agenda, and its implications for the effectiveness of UN work at country level,
- acquire a common vision of the Cooperation Framework as a partnership framework for delivering the UN development system's collective response in support of national sustainable development needs and priorities,
- understand how the Cooperation Framework can accelerate progress on the 2030 Agenda,
- understand how the Cooperation Framework will serve as a vehicle to leverage and channel financing and investment in the country’s sustainable development priorities,
- know how to use the Cooperation Framework Guidance and the accompanying companion pieces, together with the Standard Operating Procedures, to effectively support national efforts to implement the 2030 Agenda.
The course is interactive and will use real-life examples and exercises to offer opportunities for participants to learn and internalize critical elements of the training programme. It uses a blended format of instructional sessions, experience sharing and peer-to-peer learning.
- Global context, imperatives of the 2030 Agenda and implications for the UN.
- The Cooperation Framework as an instrument for accelerating progress on the 2030 Agenda: design criteria for UN common country analysis and new approaches to data and evidence in the Cooperation Framework.
- Scope and content of the Cooperation Framework as a partnership framework. The Cooperation Framework as a vehicle to leverage and channel financing and investment in the country’s sustainable development priorities. Cooperation Framework and agency-specific instruments.
- Cooperation Framework as a mutual accountability framework for results. Cooperation Framework as an advocacy strategy.
Regional and country office staff, field level managers, UN strategic planners, chairs/members of results groups/task teams and UN coordination officers/advisers.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of $2,500 covers the following:
- Four days of training with a balance of presentations, group work on case studies and individual skills reflection exercises;
- Exclusive access to a UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues;
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course.
Certificates from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants upon completion of the course.
Special Discount for UN staff working in UN Resident Coordinator Offices (RCOs)
This course is part of the UNSSC Sustainable Development Learning Package offered to staff in Resident Coordinator Offices (RCOs). We are offering a special discount of $1,000 to UN staff working in RCOs as part of UNSSC’s targeted support to the UN reform process through sustained and facilitated learning and leadership development programmes.
To obtain the discount, you must indicate in your motivation statement how this course can benefit your work in responding to country-specific needs in implementing the 2030 Agenda.