Geared to strengthening data visualization and storytelling skills, this short course is designed and delivered in partnership with Vizlogue, Data Visualization and Storytelling Lab. Highly interactive and practical, this short course will expose participants to real-world examples and exercises tailored to the UN context.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will learn:
- The steps to select the right chart while considering the data, audience, and objective.
- How to apply fundamental design principles to convey memorable insights and focus the audience’s attention.
- How to declutter graphs and remove redundancy.
- The process of telling stories with data in a static versus dynamic format.
This course is delivered online. Participants will have access to UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform, as well as a discussion forum and self-paced materials specifically curated for this course.
Two webinars of 3 hours each will be conducted on Zoom. The first webinar will take place on September 8th from 14:00 to 17:00 CEST. The second webinar will take place on September 15th from 14:00 to 17:00 CEST. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either a headset with microphone to connect to the audio through a computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required; but participants must be able to access Zoom. We will send access instructions to registered participants and recommend that you download the application and test your setup in advance.
Recordings and self-paced materials will be made available to all registrants for three months after the second webinar session.
Week 1: Make thoughful desing choices in data visualization
- Steps behind data visualization
- Art and craft of graphs
- How to choose effective graph visuals
- Principles and design options in data visualization
Week 2: Data storytelling
- Decluttering in data visualization
- How to focus attention
- Storytelling techniques in data analysis
- Static and dynamyc formats in data storytelling
This course is intended for beginners in data visualization and storytelling. It is geared to all interested UN personnel (professional and general service staff) at headquarters and field locations.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The fee for this short course is $400.