This online course provides participants with new tools and practical options to create vibrant, effective teams. It supports UN staff in team-leading roles to create and sustain enabling conditions for groups to perform at their best and achieve results with impact. Participants are exposed to communication strategies, feedback mechanisms and problem-solving methods to improve performance of team members, both as individuals and as a cohesive unit.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Gain perspective on the stages of team development and assess the developmental stage of the teams in which they participate;
- Adopt strategies for creating an environment of high trust, embracing healthy conflict, high accountability, high commitment, and focus on collective results;
- Effectively engage their teams in operating from a clear vision, mission, and set of achievable goals;
- Distinguish problem-solving from decision-making and identify/apply the proper process to use with their teams, based on the situations at hand;
- Determine the source of conflicts that arise in their team and practice strategies for effectively managing the conflict.
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronized sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted on the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required; but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The four synchronized online sessions are from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome-time (8:00 am – 10:00 am New York-time), once a week.
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on the UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
- Week 1 – Essential Qualities of Dynamic, High-performing Teams: Stages of team development; essential ‘beingness’ of high functioning teams; team vs group; finding a team purpose (vision and mission); setting goals effectively.
- Week 2 – Team Member Dynamics: team member roles (task and process roles); effective communication principles; making powerful promises and powerful requests; power of feedback.
- Week 3 – Team Problem-Solving and Decision-Making: Distinguish between decision-making and problem-solving, Identify steps in the decision-making process, Determine when and how to involve others, Identify steps in the problem-solving process.
- Week 4 – Managing Team Conflict: Distinguish between conflict and disagreement, Identify the symptoms and causes of conflict, Recognize the positive and negative aspects of conflict, Identify various approaches to conflict, Use proven strategies to prevent and resolve conflicts.
- Week 5 – Thinking Preferences Assessment.
All UN staff entrusted with leading teams, at any level.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1,250 USD covers full participation in the online course.