Designed in coordination with the UN Development Operations Coordination Office (UN DOCO), this course focuses on the Communicating as One pillar, which is part of the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One. It will help deepen the understanding of the 2030 Agenda, adjustments in UN programming principles and the resulting changes in communication requirements in different contexts. It also provides lessons on how to effectively communicate progress made on the implementation and results of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement.
A second focus of the course lies in strengthening communication skills and competencies through interactive modules led by media professionals.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Demonstrate a better understanding of the concept of sustainable development, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, as well as the Paris Agreement and related communication and outreach requirements;
- Be familiar with the Communicating as One pillar of the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One, as well as the latest guidance on the development of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework;
- Understand the potential implications of the UN Secretary-General’s report on repositioning the United Nations development system;
- Have enhanced their communication skills with regards to traditional and new media and will have identified concrete areas for personal improvement as well as a trajectory to address any shortcomings.
The training programme will offer a mix of knowledge and skills for communicating effectively the progress made on the implementation and results of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement. The course will adopt a blended format of instructional sessions, experience sharing and peer-to-peer learning.
- Day 1: Overview of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement; Delivering as One and Standard Operating Procedures in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: What is new?; Repositioning the UN development system: what is it about?; Strategic communication and partnership building
- Day 2: Joint communication strategy and communication techniques: putting theory into practice; Communication with traditional and new media: interactive exercises and experience sharing; Perfecting your communication skills
- Day 3: New approaches and tools to outreach and advocacy: visualization and use of accessible language; Use of social media within the parameters of the UN; Action planning
UN staff in communication and advocacy related positions.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 2000 USD covers the following:
- Three days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises.
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.