Leveraging the presence of 19 UN entities in Bonn, as well as numerous leading institutions in international development, the UN Summer Academy provides an exclusive opportunity for dialogue with professionals and thought leaders who are currently working towards the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement on a daily basis. The academy combines academic rigour with cutting-edge thinking, builds on renowned faculty and is open to professionals from all sectors. Participants discuss transformative approaches required for implementation and share multiple concrete examples and practices from diverse countries and stakeholder perspectives.
The solution oriented workshops called Application Labs foster peer to peer learning and the Share Fair provides a networking platform for participants to engage with the different organisations and showcase the work of their organisations to an international audience.
In the course of the programme, participants also get the opportunity to engage in a day long excursion which brings to the fore real life examples of concrete sustainable development practices.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Have deepened their knowledge of the core substance and processes related to the 2030 Agenda, the Paris Agreement as well as the Financing for Development process;
- Have an increased awareness of the specific roles of different development partners as well as related cooperation opportunities;
- Have had a first-hand exposure to good practices in the area of sustainable development programming and implementation;
- Have gained knowledge and skills on building substantive and sustainable partnerships and enhancing their networks.
The UN Summer Academy combines plenary sessions with interactive opportunities for knowledge exchange and experience sharing, leveraging the perspectives of diverse stakeholders. Through a Share Fair and an excursion, the programme provides participants with networking opportunities. The Application Labs provide the participants with practical hands on experiences.
The UN Summer Academy introduces conceptual approaches underpinning the notion of sustainable development, the Sustainable Development Goals, as well as the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
The different sessions of solution-oriented workshops allows participants to explore the areas of their interest. The Share Fair brings together different actors and showcases the diversity of programmatic approaches and practices and fosters networking.
During the excursion in the wider region of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia , participants get the opportunity to explore local projects, which combine various aspects of social, economic and environmental considerations.
The academy will also cater to the participants’ well-being by organising a rich cultural programme featuring the great opportunities in terms of culture and nature the Bonn area provides.
UN staff, government representatives, civil society representatives, academics, business representatives, as well as a select number of Master and post-graduate students.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1000 USD covers the following:
- Five days of training, including a full-day field trip to a sustainable development project
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues
- All course materials, resources and contacts
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, accommodation expenses will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who attends the academy.
To learn more about the UN Summer Academy and its previous editions, click here.