Social media has been rapidly gaining prominence in recent years, transforming into a crucial communication platform for organizations and individuals. Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter have more than 4 billion monthly users, and the number of social media users across the globe is set to grow exponentially. Capitalising on, and effectively navigating the social media landscape is essential to communication success for UN agencies, funds, missions and organizations. However, several organizations struggle with having a presence on the web.
This programme is designed to meet the needs of UN staff working with social media. It will give you an overview of the pros and cons of social networks and fundamental concepts including branding, networking and influencing. Sign up for the programme to master social media skills which will enable you to boost visibility across social media platforms, interact effectively with an engaged audience, build cost-effective and targeted campaigns. The goal is to help you create a social media strategy in line with the wider communication objectives of your organization. Social media monitoring and analysis will also be a significant component of the programme.
- Develop and sustain effectively an online brand
- Select the right mix of social media tools and platforms, depending on goals and priorities and, at the same time, recognize the most effective social media platform to achieve high levels of visibility
- Identify ways to overcome budgetary constraints or managerial scepticism vis-à-vis these tools
- Create effective strategies to deal with online criticism and minimize the reputational damage of any attack
- Report and measure social media listening and social media monitoring
- Identify key people in their field of interest in order to build and maintain networks and increase their online influence
- Apply techniques to boost their online leadership, by discovering ways of motivating and inspiring people online
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronized sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject matter experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted on the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required; but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The five synchronized online sessions are from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome-time (8:00 am – 10:00 am New York-time), on TUESDAYS.
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on the UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
- Week 1 – Branding and networking on social media: the importance of online branding; authenticity, transparency and the challenges of finding your voice, both as an individual and as an individual representing the UN; dealing with online criticism to minimise the reputational damage of any attacks.
- Week 2 – Learning and influencing techniques: building and maintaining networks for online influence; identifying key people in your field of interest and learning what motivates and interests them; online leadership and ways of inspiring and motivating people online; ecology of platforms and tools available and how to decide on the right mix for what you want to achieve.
- Week 3 – Developing a social media strategy & essential social media skills and tips: identifying your communication goals and needs; best tools to achieve fixed goals; choosing the most effective and useful social media platform, based on your strategy and needs; changing and adapting the business language; criteria for an effective post; short and long-term campaigns; means of engagement and identification of targeted audiences.
- Week 4 – Programme project and peer exchange: at the beginning of the course you will have the possibility to submit an individual social media project relevant to your work. UNSSC and our team of communication specialists will guide you through it and help you achieve your expected goal. You will present it to the rest of the class and exchange insights with your colleagues.
- Week 5 – Leveraging social media to tell the UN’s story: the UN and its social media accounts; reasons the UN should use social media; best practices and tools used within the UN on various social media platforms; showing the lighter side.
UN Communication Officers, project managers, and other UN staff involved or interested in leveraging social media to achieve team and organizational goals.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1,250 USD covers full participation in the online course.