The policy simulation is a flagship product that the UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development developed to support country-contextual needs, taking into account the role of the Centre of Government, multiple stakeholders, as well as the United Nations System in an integrated and holistic way. The simulation is designed to foster longer-term strategic policy thinking, considering possible synergies, spin-offs and trade-offs across sustainable development dimensions that policy choices will trigger. The SD Policy Simulation is expected to foster self-reflection and consider current practices while helping to foster and undertake new approaches. During the course, simulation sessions will alternate with de-briefing and knowledge exchange sessions, allowing discussing real life applicability of the situations encountered during the simulation from multiple stakeholder perspectives and with a particular focus on concrete policy choices. Sessions will include topics related to the vision and principles of sustainable development, context analysis, stakeholder engagement and consensus building, partnerships, policy advocacy as well as the political economy of sustainable development.
Upon the successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Have increased understanding of key concepts and substantive focus areas of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement, as well as related normative frameworks and institutional arrangements;
- Be better equipped to analyse the role of the UN as well as other stakeholders in supporting national implementation of the 2030 Agenda;
- Have a better understanding of sustainable development as an ongoing process of negotiation and consensus building among stakeholders with diverse economic, environmental and social interests and values;
- Have a better understanding of the principles of policy coherence for sustainable development and its applicability to the five P’s (People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace and Partnership) of sustainable development goals;
- Have a better understanding of how the shift from funding to financing will require stronger partnerships among UN entities and external stakeholders
- Have a better understanding of the importance of examining sustainable development through the lens of political economy.
The course is interactive in nature and will use the policy simulation exercise in different phases to offer opportunities to participants to learn discuss and debate critical elements of the programme. Through its plenary sessions, expert inputs and innovative discussions, the programme will promote knowledge sharing focused on actionable solutions and foster a culture of practical understanding among participants.
- Day 1: Overview of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Sustainable Development Goals, principles of policy coherence; UN Reform and UN country support to governments; introduction to the policy simulation
- Day 2: Context analysis and policy advocacy, ownership and communications; first round of the policy simulation;
- Day 3: Partnerships, stakeholder engagement and consensus building second round of the policy simulation;
- Day 4: The political economy of sustainable development; way forward and conclusions.
UN staff from country or regional teams, government representatives, development practitioners as well as members of civil society, academia and foundations.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 2000 USD will cover the following:
- Four days of training with a balance of presentations and simulation activity on country profiles and policy coherence
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues
- All course materials, resources and contacts
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, accommodation expenses will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who attends the academy.