Designed in coordination with the National University of Singapore acting through its Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy and the Hertie School of Governance based in Berlin, this course will focus on building coherent policies for sustainable development in context of the 2030 Agenda.
The course will lay special emphasis on the importance of cross-organisational policy coherence between different levels of government, and on the need for collaboration and networking with regional and international actors. Highlighting the importance of the role of actors and institutions, the course will also cover review mechanisms and tools to provide a holistic approach to coherent policy making.
Theoretical, practical and case study based approaches will be used to illustrate and support the concepts. Participants will get the opportunity to engage with the distinguished academics and leading experts through the live webinars. Assignments, exercises, quizzes and peer sharing spread across the five modules of the course will benefit the participants and add to their learning.
Upon the successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the interlinkages between policy objectives of different departments, and the importance to align them, with a view to implementing the 2030 Agenda;
- Be able to analyse and design policies that are mutually-reinforcing across departments and agencies;
- Have a better understanding of the challenges to policy coherence faced by different countries and the tools to address such challenges;
- Have an understanding of the strategies to overcome stakeholder conflict and building cooperation and trust between stakeholders;
- Be familiar with the review mechanisms and tools employed by various organisations.
The 5-week online course will comprise of 5 modules. Each module will draw heavily from case studies and examples to illustrate and support the concepts, and will include assignments and group work that prompt application. Each module will feature a quiz to enable participants to test their knowledge on the content. Learning will take place through reading materials, live webinars by distinguished academics and leading experts and through peer-sharing via discussion forums.
- Module 1: Module 1 will provide an overview of the policy cycle, discuss the need and ways to align policies to achieve sustainable development
- Module 2: Module 2 will focus on the importance of coherence in national policies emphasising the need to determine thematic priorities and indicators at the national level
- Module 3: Module 3 will look at policy coherence at the regional and international levels and emphasise on the importance of collaboration and networking with regional actors for coherence.
- Module 4: Module 4 will focus on actors, institutions and stakeholders. A part of this module will also elaborate on the importance of political will for policy coherence
- Module 5: Module 5 will focus on the review mechanisms and tools to complete the circle of policy coherence.
UN staff from country or regional teams, government representatives, development practitioners as well as members of civil society, academia and foundations
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 500 USD will cover the following:
- Unlimited access to course materials (video and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations.
- Participation in live webinars with renowned subject matter experts on sustainable development.
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
Certificates of Participation will be awarded to participants subject to the completion of all modules and quizzes, successful submission of exercises and assignments, and full participation in all live online sessions and discussion forums for each topic covered in the course.