The course equips UN staff with tools and methods that enable clear and consistent strategic positioning of the UN at the country level and permit communicating effectively the progress made on the implementation and results of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement.
Designed in coordination with the UN Development Operations Coordination Office (UN DOCO), this course focuses on the Communicating as One pillar, which is part of the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One.
The course strengthens communication skills and competencies, through interactive modules led by journalists and media professionals.
At the same time, it deepens understanding of the emerging development framework and the resulting changes in communication requirements within the UN system, with host governments as well as with external stakeholders.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Demonstrate a better understanding of the concept of sustainable development, the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, as well as the Paris Agreement and related communication and outreach requirements;
- Be familiar with the Communicating as One pillar of the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One, as well as the latest guidance on the development of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework;
- Have enhanced their communication skills with regards to traditional and new media and will have identified concrete areas for personal improvement as well as a trajectory to address any shortcomings.
The training programme will offer a mix of knowledge and skills for communicating effectively the progress made on the implementation and results of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement. The course will adopt a blended format of instructional sessions, experience sharing and peer to peer learning.
- Day 1: Overview of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement: Content and characteristics; New requirements for UN communications on societal SDG progress; Delivering as One and Standard Operating Procedures in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Strategic Communication and Partnership Building
- Day 2: Perfecting your Communication Skills, Communication with Traditional and New media: Interactive exercises and experience sharing; use of social media within the parameters of the UN
- Day 3: Joint Communication Strategy and Communication Techniques: Putting theory into practice; New approaches to outreach and advocacy.
UN staff in communication and advocacy related positions.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1,500 USD covers the following:
- Three days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises;
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues;
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, the accommodation costs will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.