This course empowers General Service staff to contribute to organizational transformation through a culture and systems driven by UN values, efficiency and sustainable results. To this end, the course helps participants build their skills in workflow and process analysis, enabling and supporting change, recognizing and responding to ethical dilemmas, event planning, records and procedure management.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Identify opportunities for greater efficiency in administrative processes and draft as well as communicate standard operating procedures with ease and effectiveness.
- Apply UN values to every-day decisions and processes and respond appropriately to ethical dilemmas.
- Use a detailed and practical framework to plan, coordinate and support successfully complex high-profile events.
- Describe the phases of organizational change and develop strategies to cope with it and contribute to it.
- Classify and distinguish the steps involved in administrative processes.
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronized sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject matter experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted on the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required; but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The five synchronized online sessions are from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome-time (8:00 am – 10:00 am New York-time), once a week.
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on the UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
- Week 1 – Ethics in Multicultural Organizations: Meaning of ethical conduct in multicultural and international organizations; analysis of core ethical values and virtues of the UN as well as “organizational culture” and real-life ethical dilemmas.
- Week 2 – Enabling and Supporting Change: Phases of organizational change; strategies to face and cope effectively with organizational change; study of personal resilience dimensions; stress-reduction techniques.
- Week 3 – Efficiency in Administrative Processes: Re-engineering principles to streamline work processes to achieve significant levels of improvement in quality, time management, and speed.
- Week 4 – Documenting and Creating Administrative Systems: Development of procedures manuals relevant to specific job responsibilities; identification of report templates; study of ISO’s Management System Standards and Management System Records for Organizations.
- Week 5 – Planning and Coordinating High-profile Events: Strengthen participants’ organizational skills in relation to complex events such as high-profile meetings and interagency events.
UN staff members in the General Service category, typically senior staff or those who have already mastered the skills covered in the course “Skills for Administrative Assistants.”
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1,250 USD covers full participation in the online course.